Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Vibrams Five Fingers

Chris and I went to Dallas this past weekend to celebrate my uncle's girlfriend's graduation. Sheesh...that's a mouthful! It's probably easier for me to say my semi-Aunt (that makes sense kinda, right?). Anyways, they had been telling us about these funky-looking shoes for a while and how much better they were for your feet. You see, they are both Chiropractors so they are really big into preventative/natural care instead of regular doctors who just try to pump you full of drugs. From being around them...I've learned that pretty much everything can be corrected with diet, exercise, good posture, etc. So these shoes are meant to feel like you're walking/running barefoot, and are supposed to work more of your leg and foot muscles, forcing you to have good posture and form when running. :)

After searching a few stores in Dallas (most were completely sold out of the shoes or our size), we finally found them, tried them on, and loved them! Chris and I both got a pair!! They really feel like you're walking barefoot, and are really comfy! Initially they were a pain to get on because each toe has its own pocket, but I've been able to easily slip them on the past two days.

So yesterday was the big test! My first time using them to work out and run/walk. I did a little over three miles on the treadmill with no problems. In fact, I was able to run a longer distance, and I didn't experience my usual shin splints, knee pain, and foot soreness. SWEET!! Vibrams=Success!! (This morning I did have some minor soreness in my calves, but I was already warned that should be expected because you are using muscles you don't usually use (but should) when walking/running).

However, today in the gym...I barely could do a mile before getting horrible blisters on the side of my toe and at the back of my heels. :( Not good! Plus, I didn't take my regular shoes to the gym as a "backup", so my workout was pretty much over at that point...which was super annoying considering I wake up between 5-5:30am to get to the gym in the morning before work. For that, I could've just slept in today!

But I'm still hopeful about my new Vibrams. I really could tell a difference yesterday when using them. I'm going try to taping my feet tomorrow so I won't get blisters, and I'm going to take my regular shoes just in case it doesn't work. I can't have another bad workout because of shoes. :(

As a caveat...the instructions for the Vibrams DO say to slowly ease into using them so your feet can adjust to the differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment