Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Journey of Love!

I have been completely MIA for the past month, busy planning and preparing for my grandparents' 50th (surprise) anniversary party! It was extremely hard keeping it a secret from them because my grandma is very suspicious. ;) She knew we were up to something, but according to her, we kept throwing curve balls so she never fully knew what was going on.


Mission accomplished.

This past Saturday was the BIG event! We invited 60 of their closest family and friends to partake in a surprise Anniversary/Wedding Party. Yes, wedding! We had the deacon from their church come to renew their vows. It was absolutely beautiful! I got to see my grandparents get remarried. How many people can say that? More so, how many people can say they know of a couple who have been married for 50 years?

I started talking to my boyfriend about how amazing it was for any couple to stay together that long. I mean, in reality, you just don't see it nowadays. Sad, but true.

Chris has always said that people get divorced because one or both of the parties involved stop working at the relationship. He says that everyday, it's a "choice" on whether or not you want to stay with the person, and remain faithful and true. I guess that's pretty accurate. I've also heard that you should regard your marriage as a job. You work hard at your job to make sure the "boss" is happy. You don't lie to your boss; or show up late; or call in sick repeatedly. You make sure you do things your boss likes, and don't do things that'll get you fired. When you think of marriage like that, I can see where the correlation comes from. It kinda ties into what Chris said... If you stop working at your job, you get fired. If you stop working at your relationship, you get divorced.

Well, my grandparents have stood the test of time. They have raised 3 kids together, and have helped raise 6 grandkids, and 3 great-grandkids. And in my twenty-something years of life, I have seen them give 100% to eachother and their family. I've never liked the whole "give 50/50" in a marriage, and perhaps because I've seen them give 100%. Mark 10:8 does say "and the two will become one flesh. So they are no longer two, but one." So, if you live according to scripture, then there shouldn't be a 50/50, or a mine and yours... only ours and 100%.

Obviously, Chris and I are no experts. But, Dave Ramsey says that if you want to win at anything in life, find someone who is winning at it and emulate them. So, if our ultimate goal is to get married and STAY married, then I would definitely say my grandparents fit the bill of those "winning at marriage". Wouldn't you agree?

1 comment:

  1. Chris is a wise man. He is a keeper! And so right about marriage.

    ReplyDelete