Saturday, March 6, 2010

Dave Ramsey Live!!


We went to our second Dave Ramsey Live Event today! It was absolutely awesome! I forgot how motivated I was last year when we saw him. It seems like so long ago.


But last year we made the decision to become debt free. We both started the baby steps, and completed baby step 1 rather quickly. That was exciting! I can remember when Chris and I first started dating...we lived in a 450 sq. ft. apartment with barely enough furniture (all hand-me-downs) to fill it. There were times when we scraped every last dime to eat out, and lived on top ramen. We were so in love, and just enjoyed being in that apartment together. :)

Last year, though, we bought Financial Peace University (FPU), and started the classes. I will say that we never finished them because of various issues :( ... but we start class again this Thursday evening. And this time... we WILL finish! But despite not finishing the classes, we still attacked our debt.

Sure, we have definitely had our ups and downs with it. Especially me. I'm the free spirit, and he's the nerd. So it was VERY difficult for me to stick to the budget. But today after the show we sat down and looked at how much debt we have actually paid off this past year, and boy were we ever surprised!

This month, we're going to pay $7,000 to get rid of a credit card. And after we pay that, we will have paid off a little more than $20,000!!!! In one year!! WOW! Oh, and did I mention that in that year we had 2 job losses (on one now); cash flowed a major eye surgery; bought a house; and spent almost $4,000 on fixing up the house!?!?!

It's easy to forget how far we've come when we're not constantly looking at it. And it's easy to quit because at times it seems like a never-ending battle. But today just reaffirmed what we both felt last year. HOPE! But more than that, I KNOW without a doubt that we will be DEBT FREE, and we are changing our lives. And more importantly, we are changing our family tree!

1 comment:

  1. Great job! I came from your link on the DR fan page on FB. Fun to read about your successes. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete